Saturday 22 October 2011

You can't reason with a pregnant woman!


The FH and I actually went to a supermarket... together ... to do a weekly shop. Since we have had children, online shopping has been nothing short of miraculous for us. But every so often we slum it at Tesco, with screaming, small children restrained in the trolley seats, just to remind ourselves why some genius brain invented online shopping.

In our house we have a rule that we don't stockpile chocolate, crisps, biscuits or alcohol. For the simple reason that neither of us have much will power and they rarely last an evening in our house, never mind a week.


"Shall I go get some biscuits?" The FH asked with mischief glinting in his eyes.
"Ooh risky" I smirked "Yeah, go on then - why not?  You choose." There was no way I was going down the biscuit aisle – the selection is too overwhelming, I fear I would never come out of there.0 Plus Fearless had just discovered it was quite entertaining to pick items out of the trolley and throw them on the floor, then giggle as his pregnant Mother struggled to retrieve them, so I had my hands full, literally.  The FH returned brandishing a packet it each hand; reduced fat digestives and Tesco’s equivalent of Hobnobs, aptly named Oaties.
"Wow" I said, genuinely blown away by his choices as he placed them in the trolley.

Fearless immediately picked them up and threw them out, beating me to it. The FH caught them.

"Good job I've got safe hands" he said, placing them at the other end of the trolley.

"Isn't it?" I replied monotonously.

Two aisles later, we were done. The FH went to get some bread, whilst I headed to find a checkout. Unfortunately I got distracted and he found me drooling in the front of the grab bags chocolates where there was a "2 For 1 offer" filling my heart with glee.

I picked up Galaxy Counters and Malteasers, and stood with them in each hand just as  The FH got to me.
"We don't need them Fran."

"I know but I want them and they're on offer"

"We don't need them." he repeated sternly

"I know we don't.” I sighed heavily "But" *dramatic pause* "I am 7 months pregnant, I am allowed a dribble of wine a week, apart from X Factor I have few things to look forward to on a weekend and this is the last time in my life I will be able to buy guilt free chocolate as when this baby is born I am going to have to be on a diet for eternity. I'm getting them." I finished by dramatically throwing them into the trolley, just missing Fearless' head. 
"Well I'll take the biscuits back" he threatened

"What the most boring biscuit ever made worse by taking some of the fat content out and the poor man's hobnob? Go for it."

It was hardly a choice was it?

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, I'm still on my post pregnancy diet. He'll be 16 in January....

    ReplyDelete
  2. A diet's for life, not just for Christmas! Either that or I'll just try out "size sexy"!

    ReplyDelete